Lazy Daisy Cake

A queen among cakes. Definitely deserves its own post!

Here is the recipe my grandma wrote out in the book for my mom to give her when she went off to get married:



And here is a typed version in case you find that squinty.



And here are some photos of the cake today, the first time my son has had it.

The teenagers, who had no previous experience of Lazy Daisy Cake, were shocked when I cut it into squares instead of pie shapes, but I explained, it is traditionally 16 squares in the square cake pan and just because I used a round pan is no reason to buck tradition. 



Extensive experimentation on which shape tastes better ensued, with Yarrow claiming that the centre point of the pie-shape piece was the "pinaccle" of the cake as it had an optimum icing-cake ratio, but Cambrie and I disputed that. 
Remarks:
"I know why this tastes so good, it's the rose water."
"I can't taste the rose water."
"Yes you can, you just don't know it."
"I don't even like rose water." (mom rolls eyes)
(Note: there is no rosewater in the recipe, but it's MY birthday and so I decided I just felt like it. You can stick to the vanilla if you like. :) I'm Canadian so internationalization is okay!)
"This tastes Dangerous."
"I like the texture better than most cake. Most cake is just spongy. This is good."
"It's kind of like coconut cream pie. I like coconut A Lot."
"I wasn't even hungry before you put this on the table..."
"Maybe we should offer some to the neigh---"NO" "NOPE" "Covid restrictions, you can't." 




Comments